A Czar For Haitian Relief and Immigration?

January 21, 2010 by
Filed under HughHewitt.com Blog

Over at HughHewitt.com I have posted on the need for President Obama to appoint a “czar” to coordinate and deploy American relief, assist in the re-establishment of civil authority, and to decide the many issues of Haitian-to-US emergency immigration, such as the plight of orphas with families waiting to take them in.

I suggested Jeb Bush or Rick Santorum for such a post. Your thoughts?

Comments

8 Responses to “A Czar For Haitian Relief and Immigration?”
  1. Matthew Gil says:

I’m thinking Tom Ridge or Lt. Gen. Russel Honore (the Katrina General).

2. Hugh Hewitt says:

Both excellent names, experienced and high profile.

3. Nick Stuart says:

I’m skeptical, but if Lt. Gen. Russel Honore is the guy who told the reporter “you’re stuck on stupid” he would be effective if anyone could.

4. george cole says:

George Bush Senior and Bill Clinton, Those two like to hang out together and gets Bill out of Mrs. Clintons driveway, ( they can’t stand each other anyway)>. Bill needs to rework his legacy again as some unfortunate comments hit the street.

5. George Best says:

Probably a good idea, although it’s not clear how this person would have authority over the private groups that are all over the place in Haiti, let alone groups from other countries. That means a politician is probably a good choice.

But please, please don’t call this a Czar. We have too many czars, and too many ineffectual and feckless czars, already.

6. Peggy Jean Ealson says:

Do you think that Lt. Gen. Horone would go if asked? He was just what Katrina cleanup needed. With all the other czars who have authority that none of us voted to give them, it would be great to have someone who knows where the limits of his authority are, and where they aren’t. My prayer is that the people of Haiti see the dawn of a better day soon.

7. Sean Brearcliffe says:

I’m not sure Haiti is the best target for our resources. Let private organizations take on the task. Get the government out of the charity business.

• Justin Flavin says:

trouble is , the government in Haiti has indeed let charities run their country – there was an estimated 10,000 NGOs operating in Haiti pre earthquake.

not dissing the NGOs – especially the better ones – but sometimes its takes government to take charge and start building things like water supply, roads and infrastructure.

• David Perdue for U.S. Senate In Georgia July 23, 2014
      Breaking my vacation routine to comment on the Georgia Senate race. I supported Jack Kingston from the start of this race. I’ve known him a long time and he’s a good man. But he came up short yesterday, and that means I am all for David Perdue now. It is vital that the GOP hold this seat if the effort to recover the Senate from Harry Reid is to be successful […]
    • The 2016 GOP Field, Romney, and The Western Conservative Summit July 21, 2014
      I left Denver Saturday night for vacation, after attending and speaking to/teaching for the Western Conservative Summit 2016 and the Young Conservative Leadership Summit. I was especially encouraged by the impressive turnout –3,500 Saturday night– for what has become the “CPAC of the Summer in the Rockies,” and by the quality of the 120 16-20 year olds I spe […]